Ramster Hall History
The oldest part of the house dates from the early 17th century, when it was built by a wealthy glass maker, Chiddingfold (Surrey) then being the centre of the glass making industry in England.
Important timber-framed house
It was constructed as a timber-framed, central chimney house, with close studding. Even then it was an important house for its time, with two parlours, an upstairs and service rooms. With the decline of the glass making industry it became a farm and the Long Hall was built at the end of the 17th century as a five bay barn open onto the farmyard, now the courtyard.
Farmhouse to country house
Rams Nest as it was then called, continued a peaceful farming existence with the house being variously modernised and updated over the centuries, until in 1900 it was bought by Sir Harry Waechter who converted the farmhouse into an Edwardian country house, suitable for a gentleman of the period. He changed the barn into the present magnificent beamed and panelled hall, and built the Great Drawing Room and the Brick Gallery and added the tower for good measure. He also laid the foundations of the present gardens, with Gauntlett Nurseries of Chiddingfold, very well known in their day for flowering shrubs and Japanese style gardens.
National Gardens Scheme
In 1922 the property was bought by Sir Henry and Lady Norman. She was the daughter of Lord and Lady Aberconway, and grand-daughter of Henry Pochin, who started the famous gardens at Bodnant in 1975. A very keen horticulturalist like her mother and grandfather, she greatly added to the garden at Ramster Hall, introducing many of the rhododendrons and azaleas for which it is famous today. In 1927 the garden was first opened for the National Gardens Scheme, and remains one of the few original gardens which are still open. Sir Henry Norman was a Liberal MP, cabinet minister, writer, explorer and amateur scientist. He was greatly involved in the introduction of wireless telegraphy and a lot of his artifacts from his many exportations are in the halls today.
In 2005 Ramster was passed onto the fourth generation, Malcolm and Rosie Glaister, from Rosie’s parents Paul and Miranda Gunn. Paul is the son of Sir James Gunn and like him an artist. The portraits in the Great Drawing Room by James Gunn are of Hilaire Belloc, James Pryde and Pauline, Paul’s mother with the children. There is a self-portrait of James Gunn in the Long Hall.
Earning its keep
But gone are the leisured Edwardian days, and Ramster Hall now has to work hard for its living. The Long Hall is the scene of many happy wedding receptions and parties, and The Great Drawing Room is licensed for Civil Marriages as well. Several thousand visitors tour the gardens every year. There is one gardener to replace the 40 outdoor staff of former times, and keeping the weeds down and the replanting up is a constant but enjoyable battle for the family. With the latest generation of the family taking over the responsibility of running Ramster Hall we organise Corporate Events, Theatre-in-the-Garden, Children’s Parties in the Tea Rooms and run Ramster Smokehouse, purveyors of the finest Smoked Salmon.
Historical picture gallery
Click on the image below to see historical pictures of Ramster Hall, estate and gardens.